Rock Cakes. Mix the flour, sugar and baking powder in a bowl and rub in the cubed butter until the mixture looks. Lightly grease two baking sheets or line with parchment paper. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl.
A rock cake, also called a rock bun, is a small cake with a rough surface resembling a rock. This should resemble fine breadcrumbs between your fingers. Stir in the sugar, sultanas and mixed spice. You can cook Rock Cakes using 8 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Rock Cakes
- Prepare 1.5 cups of Gluten free Self Raising flour.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of Gluten free Plain flour.
- It’s 1/4 Teaspoon of Cinnamon.
- You need 2 Tablespoons of Natvia or Stevia.
- It’s 100 g of Nuttalex olive oil spread.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of Sultanas.
- It’s 1 of Egg (lightly beaten).
- You need 1/3 cup of Almond milk.
Grease a baking tray with butter or use baking paper. Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Cut the butter into cubes and then rub it into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs. It's easiest to do this if it's cold, but not too hard.
Rock Cakes instructions
- Preheat oven to 180° celcius. Line two baking trays with baking paper..
- Sift the flour & cinnamon into a large bowl, add Natvia. With your finger tips, rub the Nuttalex into the flour, it will look like breadcrumbs. Add sultanas. Make a well in the centre of flour..
- Combine eggs & milk in a jug. Pour into the well. Gently using a butter knife, mix ingredients well, making into a sticky dough, (you may need to add a little more milk)..
- Spoon 1.5 Tablespoons of the mixture onto tray, make sure you leave a 5cm gap, so the don't rise and turn into one big rock cake, repeat until mixture is all gone..
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in tray for 5 minutes, then place onto a wire rack..
- Note: Rock cakes will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days, if they last that long. ☺️.
How to Make Rock Cakes Get the oven on and line a baking tray with a sheet of baking parchment or a non stick baking mat. Add the flour, salt, sugar, and spices into a large bowl. Using your finger tips, rub in the butter until you have fine breadcrumbs. Add the raisins, sultanas and candied peel. Rock cake ingredients Ingredients for rock cakes are plain flour, baking powder, mixed spice, salt, sugar, butter, sultanas, egg and milk.