Chocolate Orange Cake. Added a quarter cup of coffee to finish off the orange juice. Not enough oranges to make two cups, so I improvised. Made a different glaze, a chocolate ganache.
For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar, orange zest and juice; beat until smooth. In a large mixing bowl, add butter and sugars and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until pale and creamy. You can have Chocolate Orange Cake using 25 ingredients and 16 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Chocolate Orange Cake
- Prepare 2 c of flour.
- It’s 1-1/2 c of sugar.
- Prepare 3/4 c of cocoa powder.
- You need 2 tsp of baking soda.
- You need 1/2 tsp of baking powder.
- You need 1 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1/2 c of vegetable oil.
- Prepare 2 of large eggs.
- Prepare 1/2 c of orange juice.
- Prepare 2 Tbsp of orange zest.
- Prepare 1/2 c of whole milk.
- It’s 1/2 c of coffee.
- Prepare 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
- You need 3 sticks of unsalted butter.
- You need 6 oz of bittersweet chocolate bar.
- You need 1/2 c of heavy cream.
- It’s 3 c of powdered sugar.
- Prepare 1/4 c of orange juice.
- It’s 2 Tbsp of orange zest.
- You need 2 tsp of vanilla extract.
- Prepare 1/2 c of cocoa powder.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of salt.
- You need 1 of large orange.
- You need 2 cups of sugar.
- It’s 2 cups of water.
Mix the sugar and orange juice in a bowl of a stand mixer. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition. Add the vegetable oil, orange zest and orange blossom water Add the cocoa powder. In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
Chocolate Orange Cake step by step
- Preheat oven to 350°F..
- Using vegetable shortening or cooking spray, grease two 9" round cake pans, then place a circle of parchment to line the bottom of each..
- Whisk together vegetable oil, eggs, orange juice, orange zest, milk, hot coffee, and vanilla..
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt..
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet and mix just until all ingredients are combined (but in order to keep the cake light and fluffy, don't overmix)..
- Divide batter equally between two greased and lined cake pans..
- Bake on middle rack for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean..
- Let cool a few minutes, then turn out onto a plate, remove the parchment from the bottom of each cake, and flip right side up onto cooling racks to cool completely..
- While the cakes are cooling, make the chocolate orange buttercream frosting..
- Break the chocolate bar into small pieces and add to a microwave-safe bowl, along with the heavy cream..
- Microwave for 30 seconds, then stir. Then microwave in 15-second increments, stirring after each one, until smooth. This should take about 1-½ to 2 minutes total..
- Once the chocolate and cream are melted together, let it cool on the counter for a few minutes while you start the frosting mixture..
- Whisk softened, room temperature butter until smooth (scraping down sides of bowl as necessary)..
- Add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, blending until smooth between each one..
- Next, add the orange juice, vanilla extract, cocoa powder, salt, and orange zest, and mix well..
- Finally, add the melted chocolate and mix one more time until the frosting is smooth and fluffy..
Once the cake is covered with orange buttercream, chill it well. Then take the chocolate buttercream and spread it in little dabs around the sides of the cake. Use a metal spatula or bench scraper to blend out the buttercream and create a smooth surface. Grease a bundt pan and dust it lightly with cocoa powder. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine cake mix, sour cream, vegetable oil, and eggs.